Example - Strategic Issue Resolution Process
How do we overcome customer preference for a competing method of repair (call it "Their Method")?
Bases for Preference:
- Most important basis: Their Method is perceived as a smooth, strong, long-lasting repair (if done properly)
- Endorsement of Their Method by equipment manufacturers
- The Pacific Rim has a strong bias toward Their Method
Overcoming the Preference:
- One-on-one consultative selling with the end-user to present the benefits of Our Method
- Work with equipment manufacturers
- Dispel perception that Our Method is only a temporary repair-Our Method is an engineered system
- Establish an intelligence system that alerts us when an end-user has a bad experience using Their Method
Should we get into the service business to utilize Their Method as well as Our Method?
- We have a major concern with straddling both Our and Their Methods-sends a mixed message to the market. We have been aggressively selling against Their Method.
- We still have major market growth opportunities for Our Method in developing countries.
- We would not consider offering Their Method without first having a system using Our Method that overcomes the major preferences for Their Method.
- We will not offer Their Method within the next 3-5 years.